Parents Make a Difference
Creating a safe environment for children and teens to thrive is the responsibility of all Texans, but parents play a special role in standing up for and with our youth.
As a prime influence on a child’s life, it’s important for parents to know about the harms of underage alcohol use. Knowing the facts helps parents make decisions that protect their children.
Alcohol is the most commonly misused drug among Texas youth. While some people may view underage drinking as a harmless rite of passage, there are actually many serious consequences associated with underage alcohol use.
- Youth who start drinking alcohol before age 15 are four times more likely to have issues with alcohol dependence or misuse as adults.
- Underage drinking increases the risk of physical and sexual assault.
- Alcohol use is a key contributing factor to teenage suicide.
- Underage drinking can affect brain development in a way that has life-long effects.
- 1 in 5 teen drivers involved in fatal car crashes has alcohol in their system.